fredag 5 november 2010

love letter to the frog

What I think about when I think about advertising

I think it’s dead. How’s that for a first line. But it was that belief that directed my feet towards this pond consisting of frogs that are able to jump.

For years I’ve been struggling with the thought of entering a business that I felt pretty much had it’s golden years behind. I felt more and more puzzled facing the task of setting someone else’s emotions in motion with a print ad when I couldn’t even move myself. I strongly felt that brands had to stop being the parents telling people what to do, what to think, buy and believe. Because I think we all know what that kind of behavior triggers in people. The terrible two’s. We start doing the exact opposite of what we are being told.

So how could we make brands grow up, loose the attitude and start treating people like equals? Since I didn’t find the answer up north where my passport says I belong, I decided to go west. Here I found a place of believers in a total different approach towards consumers. The culture aligned one. Instead of interrupting people, preaching your own religion and being so annoying they’ll probably end up blocking you on Facebook, why not ask to join the party or better yet, throw the party?

With a charismatic and think-big-leader, this group of jumpers seduce the audience more through the guts then the brains. It’s when emotion is attached that messages and dreams can really crawl under your skin and make you take action. I came to this sizzling pond and I instantly knew I wanted to be a part of it’s great power. Because just like the frogs, I want to spend my days adding something extra into the world of brand experiences.

I want to make people turn the milk carton in the store just to see what they wrote on the back this time.

I want to tell the stories behind the big co-operations, explaining that it all begun with someone like you, a person with a big dream.

I want to make it more fun to buy groceries, easier to choose insurance and more exciting to go work out.

I want to add something extra to the life of consuming weather it’s a smile, a personality or a feeling of being safe.

There’s far more then one brand out there selling socks. So I think we have to stop talking about the socks and start talking about life. And most of all, throw the party.


Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar